Explore what life has to offer

Explore what life has to offer

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Alone in Panglao (Bohol)

March 10, 2012

I love to travel. But I was only inspired to write about my travels when I read the article of Cebu Pacific's Smile magazine that featured the sole sisters who quit there job just to travel. This article motivated me to reach for my dream to travel the Philippines and most of Asia.

So here goes:

I was assigned for a one day solo field work in Bohol. Since I was already there, I wanted to explore the place on my own after my work. I planned days ahead on how to get from one place to another by commuting. But all that changed on the day itself when I asked the staff of the hotel I stayed in if my plan to tour Panglao Island was doable. When they learned that most of my transportation is via habal-habal (motorcycle), they all disagreed and convinced me to just hire a tricycle which is the best choice for a solo girl to take. This would also be an ease on their part since they could take the driver's information and contact number just in case something happens to their guest. The staffs were able to find me a tricycle driver who agreed to take me to the places I wrote down for Php500.00.

And so, the adventure begins...

First stop: Dauis Church and Miracle well

Dauis church (Our Lady of Assumption Church) is one of the oldest and beautiful churches in Bohol. A stairs at the side of the altar leads to the statue of the Lady of Assumption where devotees pray. A well, known for having healing water, is located at the front of the alter along the center aisle. It was covered with a glass when I saw it... Before leaving, there was a stall giving away water from the well for "free"... Though I had to give a "donation" first before the water was given to me..
Dauis Church altar

Next stop: Hinagdanan Cave

When we got there, I had to pay Php15.00 for the entrance fee and Php5.00 for the parking fee of the tricycle. When I got there, the whole town was experiencing a black out so our only light was from the big flashlight that the guide was holding and some candles lighted inside the cave. Luckily, the guide was kind and was taught on the camera settings that would be best for taking pictures inside the cave. The cave was discovered when the owner of the land uprooted a dead tree and saw that there was a cave underneath. As explained  by the guide, the cave was called "Hinagdanan" because the original entry to the cave was through a "hagdan" (ladder) down a hole in the ground. Outside the cave were stalls of souvenirs which were cheaper compared to those sold in Island City Mall. Shirts were sold for only Php99.00.

Inside Hinagdanan Cave

Next in line: Panglao Church
Also known as the Church of St. Augustine, this church was worth the visit for its beauty. Aside from the main church, tourists also visit the place for the watch tower located behind the church.

Altar of Panglao Church


Next was Nova Shell Museum.
The sign was too small that we almost missed it. The museum is located at the back of the compound. A Php30.00 entrance fee is collected before entering the museum. Inside, you'd see all kinds and shapes of shells... Though one would think that this collection is complete, i was informed that of the 1700 species of shells, they only have 1000 in the museum and are still buying shells from fishermen.

Part of the shell displays

Then we went to Alona Beach for some pictures before we went to Dumaluan for more pictures. There was no entrance fee for Alona Beach, Php25.00 was however collected for Dumaulan beach. They were nice stretch of white beaches but it would be better if there weren't so many weeds in the shores. Comparing the two, I think Dumaluan is better. Alona was just overrated but that's where most of the foreigners go. Also, we were able to have a glimpse of Siquijor Island from the Dumaluan shores. Oh, and since I only wanted to take pictures, the guard of Bohol Beach Club allowed me to walk along their shores to take pictures.

Alona Beach
The beautiful Dumaluan Beach

Next stop was Bohol Coco Farm where all the plants are naturally grown. I paid Php50.00 for the entrance fee. I learned from the guide that pigs cried out alot because their feet gets tired of walking on cement in their pig pens. Just like how tired girls are after wearing hills.  I tried their "skywalk" where you'd walk on bamboo-made bridges to get from one coconut to another. It was a nice experience. 
View deck of Bohol Coco Farm

Final stop: Bohol Bee Farm. There was no entrance fee... Not much to see though... but the spicy ginger and malunggay icre cream (Php 60.00) is a must taste. They offer a free taste so you can decide what flavor to buy... They have a restaurant with a great view of the Mindanao sea. Didn't eat there since its way out of my budget. haha...

Bee Farm Ice Cream

That's basically what Panglao Island has to offer.

Total cost for the tour: Php 650.00 for almost 6 hours of tour which covered Dauis Church, Hinagdanan Cave, Panglao Church, Nova Shell Museum, Alona Beach, Dumaluan Beach, Bohol Coco Farm and Bohol Bee Farm. It was worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, may I know if you have any contact number of the Habal habal ride? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sorry i don't have the number of kuya driver. it was the hotel i stayed in that contacted him. I suggest you ask assistance from the hotel you'll be staying. It would be safer that way. Hope you enjoy Bohol as much as I did. ^_^

    ReplyDelete